Saturday, October 26, 2013

Weekly Update

I have been promising L. a bed frame for a while. But other things always seem to take priority like working on the house, going to work, and finishing outdoor projects before winter sets in. She was finally fed up with sleeping with the matress on the floor that she went and bought a bed frame on Craig's List for $300. Unfortunatly after she bought it, while loading it onto the truck, something happened and it fell over breaking both headbord corner posts. When the posts broke it revealed most of the bed was made out of that cheap pressboard made from sawdust and glue. We used our $300 Craig's-List-glued-sawdust bed for about 2 weeks until L was able to resell it on Craig's List for $50 more than she bought it for. Since then our matress has been on the floor. On Tuesday after hearing the same request for a bed frame, and me giving the same empty promise - "I'll get to it when I have time" - I looked at my calendar and realized I had 2 whole days off without any work related activities scheduled. So I Googled "Queen Size Bed Frame" and got some ideas for a bed frame from Google Images. Went to the local Lowes and spent $200 on dimeisional lumber, bolts, stain and urethane. I put them all together and came up with the following bed frame:

I didn't want ugly screw holes to show so I grabbed a piece of an old broken broom handle and made some wood plugs to hide the screw holes. Not perfect but I think it came out alright, kind of the homestead look.



Finallly L does not sleep on the floor anymore.


Chickens are doing good. Ordered 25 hens and got 27 in the mail. 8 died in the box before they arrived. L nursed 3 to good health that were almost unresponsive and were not standing on their own when we opened the box. Still have 19 and they are growing fast. Here they are at 11 days old.   


No blog posting would be complete without a picture of the little munchkins. Porter decided he really likes chocolate milk. My parents always talk about me drinking a gallon of milk a day, Porter is already up to about a 1/2 gallon a day. Thinking about investing in a dairy cow in the future.


Porter helping daddy, he loves playing in sawdust!


1 comment:

  1. The bed frame looks good. That over sized garage is sure nice to lay out projects in. I am always running out of room in ours...Tim

    ReplyDelete