Sunday, March 6, 2011

Potty Training

I am a lazy mother when it comes to potty training. I attempted to teach Henry to use the toilet, and implemented the use of "pull ups." He got pretty good at telling me when he needed to go #2. There are books that tell you to train them in a weekend and they should be trained. It requires the mother to get the child on the toilet every hour or more. Too much "time requirements" for this momma. Not that I'm busy, but I have a hard time just remembering my own medicine every day. So we stalled out at "pull ups." Not so great when they are more expensive than regular diapers. I got fed up and decided being thrifty was more important so went back to diapers, and Henry went right back to acting like a child in diapers. Serves me right I guess.
One friend recently suggested the "naked" training. I guess some kids just won't pee if they are naked. Put the diaper or whatever on them and they will forget and pee. So I thought maybe we should try that out. Turns out my son is too modest. He does NOT like being naked, threw a fit until I would put something on him. So I compromised and we moved on to underwear. So far the weekend has been some what successful. We actually went to Wasilla shopping for a while and back home with out any incidents, as well as the three hours at church today. He gets really excited when he "keeps his pants clean," so does Mommy. I am still mastering my frustration when he has a slight set back. I don't think getting mad at him helps much, just makes him feel worse, one day I may get better at this whole thing. We'll see. But that is our progress so far.
I am sure all of you reading the blog were interested in potty training a 2 yr old, but that is what consumes my life right now. That and preparing for baby number 3! I'm getting really excited and into the "preparation" mode. This time being a bit more crafty in the process. I want to make as much as I can, we're even talking about using cloth diapers. We shall see. The only draw back to being crafty and not knowing the sex of the baby is that green and yellow get really boring after a while. So I may have to postpone some of the "crafts" I have planned.
Better find something else to occupy my time for a while.

2 comments:

  1. good job mama! potty traning is no fun. We tried the naked thing and it worked too! He still has accidents every now and then, but it's nice to be out of diapers. You should post a picture of your belly!!! and due date because I forgot it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I had a dream last night that I was baby sitting your kids for a week while you were having a baby... and they terrorized everything everywhere we went... that's not gonna happen is it? Maybe we'll just have to stay home that week or something.

    ReplyDelete