Thursday, March 12, 2009

So Serious

Little man Henry can be so serious. He grabbed onto my book and wouldn't let it go. He must also like mystery books. Such a cute little guy. At the last visit Henry weighed 8.11kg. YEAH! He gained weight. I know doesn't seem like much going from 8.02 to 8.11 but it's a big deal for me at least. He'll have the NG tube in until he reaches 9.5 kg. Last night he was acting like a typical little boy, throwing everything he could reach and getting into everything. It was so fun! I haven't seen Henry act like this in a long time. He even smiled at the Doctors yesterday which was great. Today we're in the clinic again getting blood and platelets. The Chemo dropped his platelets down to 14.. which is really low. They usually transfuse at 11 but since he got chemo yesterday they went ahead and transfused. Even though the chemo dropped his counts they are continuing with treatment because the vinblastine and 6mp keep his LCH under control. His body really responds well to the chemo which is great. So they gave him a few ml less than his normal dose so it wouldn't obliterate his numbers. His body is fighting hard! He got rid of a virus on his own, and has been able to get his numbers more stable which is great!
I think the one thing that helps me from breaking down constantly is witnessing other families and young ones go through so much more. One of the girls we met here recently is going through 5 different chemo's and another family is going through a clinical trial that may or may not work, it's their last attempt to fight the disease. So much sadness, and yet most of the kids are still so happy. And to see Henry especially start to grow and react to things around him and act like a "normal" kid sometimes is all I need for a boost. He's enduring this so much better than I am, and he's the one going through it. Funny how that works sometimes. It's all about perspective.
Reading in my journal from a few months ago, I found a scripture I had written down in Mosiah 3:19 about being meek and submissive, willing to submit ourselves to everything that the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon us. In my journal I wrote in parentheses "like contaminated water." The biggest thing I had to deal with at that point in my life was contaminated water. If only that was all. The Lord has a plan for each of us and we don't always know what's in store but he prepares us for it, I have always been able to look back and understand why things happened the way they did. What a great blessing the gospel is! To know the purpose of life and to know that the Lord is always watching over us and guiding us and helping us through. What peace it has blessed me with to know that this life isn't the end. No matter what happens to us in this life, we can be sealed to our families and be together for eternity.
Thank you for all the prayers and support. May the Lord bless and enrich your lives for your kindness and love.

4 comments:

  1. WE MISS YOU AND LOVE OUR LITTLE MAN

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I should be greatful for my contaminated water??? hehe Oh but I am grateful for my awesome neighbors who have clean water for me to wash my G's in. THANK GOODNESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you did let those awesome neighbors use your shower every day for almost a year so I think the least they could do is let you use their washer and dryer! :) And I hope you really enjoy us as neighbors because I think Joel is ready to follow Ryan anywhere! He keeps telling me that he wants to become a trooper. And how great Sitka is and that it's probably just like Seattle. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lisa that is so true about the one going through the hard stuff being the one who is handling it the best, Jewell was that way. She was always so positive and accepting of what the Lord gave her to handle, a great example to me and everyone. Someone told me we are prepared in our pre life for what we are to go through here, I'm glad about that and know that is what helped her through it all. I try to imagine what she is doing now and who she is teaching the gospel to and so on, I know she is happy and peaceful. I love reading your updates they are always so positive, hope to see you in May.

    ReplyDelete