Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Moving Along


We had a meeting with SCCA financial counselor where it was explained to us the limits of the insurance. Come to find out the insurance, by contract, only covers transplants up to $250,000. Who knew a typical Bone Marrow Transplant (without any complications) costs between $500,000 to $600,000. We were then told the remainder was our responsibility. She was quite tactful yet I still felt as if she was saying "will you be putting this on your credit card, or would you rather give us your home and everything penny you make for the next decade?" Don't get me wrong, she was doing her job, and she was tactful about the whole thing. We were then given a "how to" book on fundraising. :) Anyone who knows me well, knows how cheap I can be, and how I feel about money. You probably think I went into convulsions or blew my top or something but oddly enough I was calm and peaceful throughout the whole ordeal. In fact I don't even feel stressed about it. One of my favorite poems is Footprints; I wonder if this is one of those rough spots where there are only one set of tracks.

We ironically do not qualify for Denali Kid Care to assist in the cost. Our income level is slightly over the threshold, but we just might qualify for a program called TEFRA. We don't really know how much TEFRA will cover if we qualify but we are hopeful.

Ok, so other than that Henry is doing great. He is playing and laughing and very demanding. He knows when it is time for medicine and points at it. He has started copying grunting noises. I grunt once and he grunts once, I grunt twice and he does also. He has so much personality and attitude. More to come later I'm sure. J.

No comments:

Post a Comment