Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wait a While With Me...

Our Doctor wanted to reassure us that she hasn't forgotten about us. She has been calling several Doctors about Henry, and what they think may be happening with his marrow. His marrow just isn't able to produce enough platelets or red blood cells, and the cells from transfusion go straight to his spleen and get chewed up and spit out! There are many theories, but none that seem to fit Henry. Some Doctors say his spleen could be large because of liver problems, but his numbers and liver functions are normal. MY theory is that his liver and spleen are trying to compensate for the lack of cells in the marrow. There is a technical name for that I don't recall what it is but our Doctor agrees that could be the problem as well. However, the only thing we can do with that is wait for the marrow to recover. We are getting another biopsy on the 11th and we're scheduling with someone who knows how to get a good chunk of marrow so we don't have to deal with the small sample thing again.
Henry isn't showing any signs of the disease at this point, his only problem is transfusion dependency.(Needing blood and platelet transfusions every few days) He is growing and developing much quicker and acts happy and normal. He definitely knows how to say Momma, thank you and please, when he's feeling nice, in sign language. Many times LCH patients reach a point in treatment where they have to just wait for the disease to burn out and our Doctor feels like we may be there. So while this info doesn't get us home sooner, I am very positive and hopeful for Henry's recovery and continued health.
There is still a possibility that he'll need a transplant simply because his own marrow is exhausted and scarred, and he may need his spleen removed (Transplant Doctors are arguing over that one) But if you could sit and watch him play you wouldn't even know something was wrong! We have been so blessed by the Lord's tender mercy and love. More recently I have reached the point when I didn't think I could endure any more. Not that I'm the one enduring physically like Henry is, but emotionally and spiritually I have felt exhausted and all I could do was turn to the Lord and lay it at his feet. I know that through life we are never alone and the trials we feel we're enduring alone, the Lord is there carrying us through. And yet I still become exhausted and feel over burdened. I don't understand exactly how the atonement works but I know it's real. I know the Lord endured all things, every pain and affliction that we would face in this life. He knows how to succor us, to lift us and comfort us because he's experienced everything we have. He also says, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matt 11:28) Through the atonement we can turn to the Lord when we feel we can't endure any more and he will rescue us. I have been blessed with an increase of strength and peace when I felt I couldn't endure any more and relieved when I couldn't go on any more. Truly he has born our pains and sorrows, and calls to us to come unto him. He who commands the heavens and earth calls to us, and asks us to come unto him.

I have to add that last night Elizabeth was saying her prayers, and prayed for the food and prayed for Henry to get better and then said "please bless Jesus" :) Only from the mouth of babes.

3 comments:

  1. Your words are always so inspiring. I loved hearing Elizabeth's prayer. So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your theory is called extramedullary hematopoiesis. Glad to hear Henry is doing well this week and that you are hanging in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dear Sweet Friends!
    You are such an amazing family I have learned so much from your incredible example! We pray for you and miss you guys so much. I'm sad about the texting but totally understand! We really think of you guys often Zack always asks how's Henry?! have you talked to Lisa?! I kept thinking of how strong you all are while we were in the hospital and wishing we could have at least been roomies!!!! HA! What amazing parents you both are with sweet babes! WE MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!! I found the best things at DI the other day for Christmas for zella!!!!! Thank goodness she can't read... I found a hair salon. like a little kitchen but a salon! ha!! it was 9 DOLLARS!!! SO CUTE I'll get pics up after Christmas but so awesome and then I found a Hello Kitty Toaster! It burns Hello Kitties face in the toast! oh I was missing you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete