Sunday, February 7, 2010

Confidence

I am grateful that my Savior knows my strength and my own potential. The Lord promises us that we will not be given any challenge in life that we cannot handle, so I assume that every struggle is something that I must be able to handle, or at least the Lord knows I can do it! I'm glad someone does. I realize many times how blessed we are that Henry is getting stronger and healthier and that really there is no reason for me to complain. I am so grateful to have my mom and dad here helping. Mom has taken over feeding duty for Henry, because she's the only one with enough patience... I'm sure the Lord thinks I can handle it and perhaps I can, but for now I'm grateful I'm not having to do it alone!
Thursday Henry pulled his NG tube out, the tube in his nose that pumps formula into his stomach. Instead of replacing it, I decided we should try keeping it out. He's been doing great eating the last five days or so. He eats yogurt for every meal and baby cereal with honey, and yesterday he ate spaghetti and ground beef chunks and loved it. However, pretty much every meal we have to fight to get Henry to eat. Because he had the tube in for so long he has an aversion to eating. His body forgot how to chew or swallow, basic eating things, and truly I don't think he knows what 'hungry' means. He gets really fussy and you can tell he's hungry but he doesn't correlate the two..stomach is hungry I should eat... Not only do we have to fight with him about the foods, we have to worry about the allergy as well, and I'm still not sure exactly what the allergy entails. He can't handle milk, but can handle yogurt, somethings that are made with milk might set him off, others we're not sure about. And usually he wants whatever he's not supposed to eat and doesn't want anything to do with non milk products.
I know there are plenty of you mothers out there dealing with more than trying to get your child to eat, I'm just grumpy today and am venting.... You mothers are my hero's, you have great faith and you deal with great amounts of stress and trials and you inspire me to be more patient and loving with my own children. THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!! I just have to keep telling myself, the Lord has confidence in me, therefore I can do this!

3 comments:

  1. I tell ya what--trying to get a child to eat that is refusing food is one of the most frustrating experiences especially when you know they desperately need it. At one point we started putting veg. oil into Reece's soy. Good luck--if there is anyone who can overcome this--it's Henry! I'm pretty sure he liked your mint chocolate chip ice cream! Just have him order it from the Miller Diner and we'll deliver it for free! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He might be able to eat the yogurt because it goes through a "fermentation" stage which might destroy, so to speak, what pieces and parts of the milk product he is allergic to. Keep moving forward. He will start getting the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved your update/comment on our blog! We are thrilled for you guys! Please feel free to call us ANYtime. We miss you all terribly.
    Hugs and love,
    Rhea, Patrick and Hunter (and Harper)

    ReplyDelete