Saturday, July 4, 2009

Routine

Henry is doing well, we've been inpatient for a few days because he's having fevers. It's a routine occurrence when he doesn't have his vinblastine (chemo). For the next two weeks we'll be getting no chemo so that his body is ready for the transplant regiment. He has always responded well to the vinblastine but it just wasn't doing enough quick enough and his poor bones couldn't handle any more steroid blasts, they are already so brittle.
We have one more week of classes and meetings and then the next week we start chemo conditioning for the transplant. I will tell you all now that there are many unpleasant side effects of the chemo and the actual transplant. We hope he won't get many of the side effects but we have to expect or prepare for them all.
Hopefully we'll be able to get out of here tomorrow, as long as he can keep the fevers to a minimum. He's getting so strong. We have a little booster seat that he sits in.. you remember the yellow king chair he sat in.. well we have that again and we do sit down stand up exercises every day. He is actually pretty strong, doesn't need a ton of help standing up, but can't stand for very long. But I am trying to be very vigilant in strengthening exercises so that he doesn't lose ground being inpatient for so long. Once he starts standing up more, his back will start to heal.
Today Henry and Elizabeth got into the little cars here, the little red one pictured a few weeks ago, and drive around the hallways chasing each other. Henry really loves it. Having Elizabeth here is really good for him I think, he wants to follow her and play with her and he loves getting hugs from her. The other day when Elizabeth and I were saying goodbye he actually held out his arms to her, wanting another hug. He doesn't or hasn't done that to anyone, so that tells me he was really glad to have her back. :)
Not much else happening here. I hope that you are all enjoying and celebrating our Independence Day. Special thanks to all the men and women in the military fighting to protect our freedoms! God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I just caught up on your blog, believe me it doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about you and your little family, a day doesn' go by without you crossing my mind. You always sound so strong and positive, I know from experience that there are those days when you don't feel that you can handle much more, but they pass and you keep going knowing that little guy needs you. I can only say something you already know and that is life is eternal and this is just a small part, I think about things I'm going to tell Jewell when I see her because I know I will someday, sooner than I think, and what a day that will be, I love you and so does the Savior, he knows what your feeling, hes felt it too, I wish there was somthing I could do to help lift your load, just know there are so many people praying for you all and always thinking about you, love you, Terri and Gary (he sends his love also)

    ReplyDelete