Thursday, May 21, 2009

Just Waiting


So to catch everyone up on the last week or so, Henry finished his second round of chemo and did very well. After chemo finished he started getting fevers again, and having a lot of nausea. The nausea is under control now, but the fevers are persistant, so they are getting a CT scan of his sinus, chest, abdomin, and pelvic area to make sure there aren't any infections hiding from them. Our Doctor, Ann, came in the other day to check on Henry and she explained that they were starting the search for a bone marrow donor. Elizabeth isn't a match, something rare in Henry's typing. They aren't excited about how he's looking, although he's made a little progress, his belly is still huge, and they were hoping that it would, by this point, have returned to normal size. So they feel that it's important to get everything ready for the bone marrow transplant, so everything is ready if we decide to continue down that road.

I was talking with another mom about how strong Henry is, he hasn't lost any of his hair and he hasn't had any sores in his mouth and he hasn't had many other side effects from the chemo, other than nausea. He's endured a lot very well. Lately he has found that if he screams continually mommy will take him on a walk around the floor, so he screams a lot. Last night he didn't stop crying until 5am. He was soooo tired but wouldn't let himself go to sleep, or something was keeping him up and I don't know why. I tried so hard to remain as loving and calm as I could, but by 5 am I was starting to lose my mind. Luckily he cried so much he couldn't stay awake much longer. I think he's back asleep right now. They had to stop his feeds at 2am so the CT scan would be clear. I'm trying not to eat in front of him. :)

The ladies from the Relief Society in the Seattle 3rd ward have been incredible. They have started taking turns making me dinners; cafeteria food can only feed you so long... However, Mandy did go to Trader Joe's for me to pick up some frozen entrees which was awesome! The best part is that most every one eats really healthy so I don't think I'll have to worry about gaining weight. But on top of my run every morning and walking Henry for hours around the floor, I'm not sure I need to worry about that. The nurses want me to get a pedometer so I can check how many steps I'm getting. Oh and a family donated a walker for Henry. He's been in it a few times but doesn't quite get it yet. There is a beautiful little girl that's 9 months old, her name is Ashlynn and she's a speed demon in her walker so I figure it will only take a few more days of Henry watching her do it and he'll start to get the idea. He would rather sit in his stroller all day but we're trying to get him strong enough to start standing and walking.

Right now, I'm praying that Henry's liver and spleen get smaller so that his belly returns to normal size, with out needing to do the bone marrow transplant. But if we need to do it, I think he's been well prepared for it to be successful. Thank you again for all your prayers and kindness. The Lord has truely blessed me with wonderful family and friends to support me in my times of weakness. Much Love!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I love you so much! You are in our prayers every night. Could I be a match for Henry's bone marrow? How do I get checked? let me know Love you
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Lisa, he is so stinkin cute! And don't you love Trader Joe's? They have the best stuff.

    ReplyDelete