Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Aggressive Treatment

We talked to the Doctors today about Henry's treatment. He's not making as much progress with the chemo he's on right now, so we're moving to a more aggressive chemo. The plan is to use these new types of Chemo to wipe out his bone marrow. Which puts him at zero with his counts, and very susceptible to any kind of virus or bacteria or anything else. The chemo lasts for five days or so and then it will take about three weeks to build his counts back up. Which puts us in the hospital for a month. We're doing two rounds for a total of two months. Which means that I won't be able to have Elizabeth here with me. I know all you at home are cheering because you miss Elizabeth. Joel will try to get on day shift and take care of Elizabeth for two months. After that if all goes well here Elizabeth can come back because Henry will be on maintanance chemo.
Joel asked to take her home for the summer and I wasn't willing to part with her, but the situation we are facing makes it impossible for me to take care of her here. So I have to part with her for two months and it breaks my heart. Today she spent the day with Mandy and Finley and was so excited to see Mommy when she got back. She has a runny nose and a slight cough. I am hoping its just allergies but I made Joel take her home to the RonDon immediately so she wouldn't get Henry sick. She was broken hearted, and cried the whole way down the hall. I don't know how I'll survive with out her. But Henry needs me more right now.
The side effects of these chemos will make him lose his hair and get sick more often feel nauseated and possible need greater pain meds. The Ortho team created a brace for him to wear while he sits up. Supposed to help keep his back straighter. The Ortho Doc said that the babies he's seen with LCH most always recover from the back fractures and don't have issues when they get older. They are young enough to rebuild their bones. So that's encouraging. They HemOnc Doc's said that they have had success with this new treatment so I'm really hoping that it works. I am hoping that we didnt' wait to long for the vinblastine to work, and the LCH progressed to far. I try not to think about the bad side of things but I wonder.
That's what's new here. Not much fun but, if it works for Henry it will be worth the two months with out Elizabeth and Joel. The other option is bone marrow transplant, not very successful with LCH but it's an option. The only likely donor is Elizabeth, with in our family. They are gonna get a sample of his blood to test in the "system" to see if there are any matches. So that if we need to move to that option of treatment we'll be ready. So those of you reading this if you could continue to pray for Henry and pray that this treatment works for him. He's so strong and I know that we'll make it through. Thanks for your continued prayers. Much love!

5 comments:

  1. Oh! i'm so sad to hear that his current treatment isn't making much headway! let me know what we can do. Tell Joel that i'd be more than happy to have Elizabeth over during the day to play...her and alex would have so much fun and then it'd keep him occupied so I can just focus on the babies...a win-win! So just let me know! Love ya! BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, You are Joel are truly amazing. I keep up on your family and pray and think about you often. We will continue to pray over the next two months for all of you. The Lord does know what each and everyone of us can handle and would not put us in a situation where he knew we couldn't handle and learn from it. Your strength helps me grow. Take care...Chauri

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, I'm definately cheering that I get to see Elizabeth and (crossing my fingers) get to take care of her a lot while she's here. But I couldnt help but think how hard it is for you to even put that in writing, of coarse we're all excited to see her but that means that you dont. I'm so sorry. But, I'd be willing to watch her every minute that her daddy is working. Remember if you need anything let me know, like books, puzzles, candy, toys, punching gloves, scrapbook supplies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let Joel know I'd be happy to have your darling little daughter over at my place once in a while if he needs a break :) My step daughters and grandbaby should be up later in June, but until then I have little dogs who would love to play with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa. I am so sorry that Henry has to go on a stronger chemo. I pray it works. Tell Joel that if he needs anything, to please let us know. We love you & pray for you guys often:):):)

    ReplyDelete