Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Miracles

I hope that my earlier post "figuring out life' didn't offend anyone. After really searching for understanding and talking with my mom and pondering the scriptures I was wrong. So many go through losing a child for one reason or another. Many have to struggle with life time ailments or handicaps. All of us at one time or another wonder why we can't have the BIG miracle, the one that will completely heal our loved one, bring them back or relieve the pain they are enduring. I thought of a dear friend who had great loss in her life and I know she has incredible faith, there are so many that, to me, are spiritual giants who endure loss. Their faith far surpasses mine, and to assume that they didn't get the 'heal all' miracle because they didn't have enough faith is wrong and cruel.
At the end of my earlier post I wrote that looking for the miracle takes faith. What I understand now is that the Lord promised to give us what we 'need' if we ask in faith. Many times what we feel we need, isn't actually what we need at all. The Lord knows us personally and individually and he KNOWS what we need. We have to listen to the spirit and figure out what it is we may need and then ask in faith for it.
It may not be our faith that is lacking but our sight. We do not see things as the Lord sees them, for he sees the whole picture. Years after we experience something we understand more of the 'whys'. We can see how things worked out for our benefit. We have to be willing in our search for miracles to open our heart to what the Lord has in store for us.
When a mother loses a child, we can wonder why the child wasn't spared, why they didn't get the "BIG" heal all miracle. But if we look through the Saviors eyes we see that the miracle is the Atonement of Christ, which provides resurrection for all and and the possibility to be with our families for eternity. Eternal life is the miracle. The Miracle of the Atonement is the greatest miracle of all. Although it may not ease our pains at the loss, we can receive comfort in knowing that we did receive the greatest miracle of all; eternal families.
In my prayers to the Lord I finally came to realize that among all the things I thought Henry needed most of all I prayed that he would be made whole. And then I sought the Lords guidance, simply asking "what will ye have me do now?" I have asked for what I feel we need with faith. I trust in the Lord and I will take every day and ask the Lord what he will have me do.
I don't know if this makes any sense, what I'm trying to say is this, just because we didn't get the miracle we wanted doesn't mean we didn't get our miracle. We have to see with the eyes of the Lord, seek the miracle he had in store for us. I see miracles in our lives every day and lately I have been noticing the many children around us that are also suffering. There is one little girl who was supposed to go home last month but ended up getting worse the week they were supposed to leave. The Doctors are trying to tell the parent that she's getting worse, and the parent refuses to accept it. The daughter asks her parent what she can do to get better... And it breaks my heart. And I think, she needs the miracle more than we do. They are in my prayers.
We receive miracles when we have faith because miracles were intended to be a proof that Jesus is the Christ. We have to correct our sight, see what the Lord sees, instead of only focusing on what we want, focus on what the Lord has in store for you. What you think you may need may not really be whats best for you. One day we will see the BIG picture and understand all and witness the pure love that the Lord has for each of us.
I have not figured it all out but I am starting to better understand the words of the Lord. And I truly hope that I have not offended anyone in my quest to seek understanding and answers to my own questions. Thank you to all of you who have endured great loss and been great examples to me in keeping the faith and trusting in the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Love you Lisa! YOu are a blessing, and inspiration and I admire you! I'm sure people know hwt your intent was with the post.:) Give everyone hugs and kisses from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never be offened by you, I know someone who struggled with those same questions and felt if Jewell wasn't healed it was because they did not have enough faith, she and I both knew she would be whole and well, it just may not be in this world, she did what she needed to do and is on to other things and one day, sooner than we think we will all be together again. Having her sealed to Gary and I was a wonderful blessing I will always celebrate. I'm sure she is saving my life right now because I just think I need to keep the commandments so I can one day be with her again. The Lord is so understanding and love us so much I take great comfort knowing he knows what I am going through and you also. You are so wonderful, just hang on, TCB

    ReplyDelete