Monday, October 19, 2009

Today's Progress

This morning Henry's Morphine was turned off! YEAH for Henry! He's a trooper. The other night he was really really mad. Woke up at 2am and screamed, well yelled and hit mom for two hours!!! Nothing I did could calm him down so I gave in and asked for a bolus of morphine, it's an extra dose basically. Well he was getting about .33 ml over an hour and the bolus is about .7 ml's over 15 minutes. The results: A loopy laughing boy. hahaha I was covered in puke, because when he gets really upset he pukes... and his feeding tube popped open and stomach fluids were all over me as well. It was a mess!!! But he was laughing in his bed while trying to go to sleep it was pretty funny. The giggles over the next thirty minutes helped me get over the puke and gunk all over me. What a night.
So now that Henry is off his morphine drip he can be unhooked for big chunks of the day, after his meds are all done. Most of them are oral anyway, but we're getting there... where you ask.. OUT OF HERE!!!!!! Wednesday is still our goal date of being discharged. His feeding is going much better, but we're struggling to get him enough feeds over the day. I know, they had him on a diet before, but he isn't getting any extra supplements so he needs to get more feeds. He's getting about 55ml's an hour when he isn't puking. A work in progress.
I get to attend a class at the SCCA today, have to catch a shuttle from the hospital to down town to take a class on how to work a feeding pump. WHY?! I've been doing this for oh about a year and a half... not good enough, they can't teach me here I have to go there... and when we need supplies we have to go all the way down to the SCCA. UGH! And they only give you FOUR days worth of supplies! I think they really need to work the kinks out of their system. Such is life. At least we'll be out patient. He's making huge progress every day. I keep reminding myself that all the little things add up to great and marvelous results. :)
Elizabeth and I are starting to do class every day for as long as she'll pay attention. I realized that while I was holding her out of Nursery and everything to keep her safe from germs I wasn't taking the time to teach her what she was missing. I started to read the Feb. Ensign and it was like a book of all the things I wasn't doing... a book of things for Lisa to work on! So I'm trying to include school and nursery into her daily schedule so she isn't so far behind everyone else. She'll get into Primary and not know anything. I realized too that I was relying too much on others to teach my kids when it's my responsibility. Today we went on a nature walk and picked up leaves so we could find out about all the trees in Seattle, and have a piece of the beautiful fall that surrounds us. It will be interesting to see how long I can keep it up.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you survived the crazy night! you have a great attitude. I was going to write a big long message but i'll just call you tomorrow and bug you instead!! :)

    ReplyDelete