Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 16...

(Henry's holding onto his snake that Daddy bought for him, he loves cuddling it like a body pillow)

Okay to date, here's what's happening...Henry's liver has no signs of VOD. VOD is 'veno-occlusive disease' basically the small veins in the liver get blocked. It's marked by 'weight gain due to fluid retention, increased liver size, and raised levels of bilirubin in the blood.' So I understand a little why they are constantly concerned...Henry has all of those symptoms. Ha. I guess he might have a few of the symptoms, but no blockages. Today his bilirubin dropped down a bit so that is really good. Yesterday they were discussing a possible biopsy of the liver, instead they decided to start him on his formula feeds again, just 5ml's an hour, but some of his issues might also be a reaction, or irritation rather, from the TPN he's one. (TPN is liquid nutrition put through the central line, gives them the nutrition they need with out causing pain if his gut isn't happy. Which is highly common in transplants.) So I'm of the mind that it worked, however he's still irritated with the feeds, throwing up a bit more. So we'll see how long that lasts.

The other major issue we are dealing with is this lactococcus bug in his blood. The antibiotic they had him on cleared his blood, but it grew back. Potentially it could be a different strain of lactococcus, but we'll find out later today. If it is the same bug, he'll have to have his line removed completely, and they will put in a PIC line, temporarily until they can replace the central line again. Ideally they would wait until the blood cultures come back negative again, to make sure the bug is gone; however, they may not be able to put all his medications and nutrition through the PIC line, some things aren't compatible in the same line. So I'm hopeful that it's a different strain or whatever they call it. If the line is replaced they may go ahead with the liver biopsy and do it all at once, which would mean being intubated again which would put us back into the ICU. UGH!

Day 16 and still no counts. I am trusting in the Lord, and thinking that perhaps it's better for his body if things get taken care of now before the graft comes in... and then maybe it will mean the graft will take easier and quicker. But that's just me trying to be positive. :) It can take up to three weeks so we have a few more days to wait.

So that's what is happening here. I have stared reading Anne Perry's Inspector Monk books, and I really enjoy them. I have read her Thomas Pitt books, all of them, and now onto her other series. So hopefully I can find a few more to keep me busy while Joel is gone. I love having a good book to read because I wake up in the morning and think "today is a great day to read!" hahaha So all my extra time is used up in reading. Well some of it anyways. Alright Joel's making fun of me for writing another novel on the blog. Just wanted to keep y'all updated. We'll post again if he has to get the line replaced. Much Love. Lisa.

2 comments:

  1. you just tell Joel that Tara looks on this blog three times a day for you novels and if you don't posts kinda gets upset:):) so just tell him you are posting to keep me sane:):) love you guys and let me know how the next step goes give him a hug for me we love you guys so much
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Tara. I too check your blog multiple times a day! It helps so much to hear what is going on...especially right from the battle front. :) I have been amazed that you are able to keep up with it and share so much with all of us. It does, in fact, help keep us sane! Nothing at all wrong with writing a novel anyway! hahaha :)
    Tons of Love and Prayers,
    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete