Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gratitude

First I wanted to relay something the Doctors talked about the other day. We were in rounds and our Doctor said that Henry is incredibly strong. We all know this already but it was good to hear her say it. She said that they keep on beating him down and he recovers better than they ever expect, Henry continues to surprise them. They are in awe of his strength and ability to recover. I know the Lord is giving him that strength.
I started thinking about the Nephites in the Book or Mormon; in 3 Nephi Christ visits them and teaches them and blesses their children. After a few generations they lose faith and disbelieve what their fathers are teaching them. Many times we wonder how they can forget so quickly, and yet in my experience the Lord is very quick to show us how we are so quick to forget in our own lives.
We were worried about the procedure and Henry being on the ventilator and not coming off, and when he did come off it, with out any complications, we were excited. A little while later I was on to complaining about not being back down on HemOnc. All too often I spend a few minutes in gratitude and then move on to complaining about what hasn't happened yet. Maybe it's the mind set here, you get to one point and you immediately move to the next, it's the only way of passing time. But I was quickly made aware of how quickly I forget to be grateful for all that the Lord does for me and my family. So I want to let you all know that Henry is doing great, he's off the ventilator and happy, has play time during the day and napping with out needing morphine to put him to sleep. On top of all that his bilirubin is dropping, which is awesome, no VOD. There is much to be grateful for, and I want to make sure the Lord knows and all my friends and family know that I am eternally grateful for their prayers and support. You are giving Henry the strength he needs to overcome this; you strengthen my faith every day and I AM Grateful to the Lord, with out him none of this would be possible. He loves us, and he knows each of us and what we are suffering with or overcoming, he knows how to succor us because he died for us, and atoned for all our pains and weaknesses. We are nothing with out Him. Hopefully I will be better at remembering the Lord every day and each tender mercy he bestows on us. I don't want to so easily forget the blessings and the good things about this experience.
Much love to you all. I hope you have a great Sunday. We should be back down stairs this afternoon, but if not...we'll adjust. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. The other day I watched Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and there's one part (his last day there and Natalie Portman is trying to show him all the things he'll be missing if he leaves) and they are in a clock shop and have set all the clocks to go off at the same time, and Magorium Says " 37 seconds" and Portman says "Great. Well done. Now we wait." To which Magorium replies "No. We breathe. We pulse. We regenerate. Our hearts beat. Our minds create. Our souls ingest. 37 seconds, well used, is a lifetime. " And that last line has made such an impression on me. Sometimes I feel rather than appreciating the small miracles I'm too busy looking for BIG ones to notice and enjoy the ones I have right in front of me. I know I often forget to be grateful when things are going good...for the simple miracles like being able to smile, a beating heart etc. Every minute we have is precious and can be used for good...it kind of seems silly to waste it complaining. Though I say that now, but tomorrow I'm sure I'll have something to gripe about! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps...only 4 days till I'm in SEATTLE!!!! whoo-hoo! I so hope you'll be able to come out and play with us!

    ReplyDelete