Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rough Day

Yesterday Henry had a procedure done where they placed a breathing tube in and took small samples from the bottom of his lungs to check whether he had a viral or bacterial infection in the parts of his lungs he has not been using. Since his belly is so large he has not been able to take deep enough breaths to use his full lungs. Many of us can relate if we think of the few hours after a good Thanksgiving meal. In order to do the procedure they had to sedate him fully and use a medication that paralyzes his body temporarily. This made it necessary to be on a breathing machine overnight. The Doctors wanted to leave him on the machine and kept giving him more Morphine to sedate him so he would not mess with the tubes going down his airway. He kept throwing up and choking on his spit and vomit. Our nurse called for more Morphine to put him under again and I finally had enough I told her "No" and said I wanted to speak with our doctor before we sedated him any longer. She was upset but I didn't care, The doctor asked for a CT scan before we had the breathing tube removed and asked that he be sedated. I told them he had recently had 2 CT scans and did fine without sedation. I think they were upset a little because it made their life a little harder, they actually had to watch him with us instead of just sedating him and letting the computers watch him for them. In the end he was perfect for the CT scan without sedation and afterwards I immediately started my campaign to get the tube removed. Finally at about 2:45 PM they just removed the tube and so far he is breathing on his own just fine. He is getting a little Oxygen to help but he is much more comfortable and taking a nap now. Sorry if it seems I am ranting and raving about nothing but sometimes Parents do know what is best for their kids. Why a nurse who just met him 2 hours ago thinks she knows what's best I don't know. J.

3 comments:

  1. You go Mom! Lisa they mean well but you really do know a lot. So between you and the medical caregivers Henry has quite the team taking care of him. We, and many, many others are on the prayer team. AND we are PRAYING for Henry!

    God Bless and Keep you. May the Holy Spirit intervene in Henry's body and heal his lungs.

    Jimmy and Joy
    Your Kodiak friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I can so relate, there were times I felt like the mom from..well you know...because I had to fight for certian things for my girl, but you do what you gotta do, mostly they do mean well, but with so many shift changes its inevitable that you get people who don't know all they should so tell them and put your foot down. Goooo Momm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I know that this post sounds much like Lisa when she writes and of course we all know how amazing she has been through all of this...Sarah and I noticed that this post actually has a J at the end of it...so, I just wanted to add....GO DAD!! Good for you Joel! :) We continue to pray for you, as well!
    Much love to all of you,
    Michelle and Family :)

    ReplyDelete