Thursday, August 20, 2009

Elated.. if that's even the right word!


So Henry had surgery today, for a few reasons: first to remove the central line, because it was infected, then to do a liver biopsy and to replace the NG tube. They had to intubate him again because he's been coughing a lot and they needed him to be perfectly still in order to do the biopsy. They went through his veins, from his neck down to the liver so they wouldn't have to poke him and risk bleeding out, because his platelets were low. Pretty cool. Anyways, Joel and I were trying hard to fight for Henry NOT to be intubated, we didn't want to visit the ICU again. However, the anesthesiologist was adamant that he had to be, but promised she would do everything she could to get him extubated after the procedure.

So after a few hours passed our pager went off and we ran down to the Day Surgery desk, waited to talk to the Doctor. He explained that the procedure went very well and that they were able to do a few extra tests on his liver, which was important to rule out certain possibilities. Then the Doctor asked the receptionist to find out where Henry was and if he was being sent to the ICU. She made several phone calls... they seem to lose track of patients very easily. Mostly because he was a last minute add on. So she tells us that yes he's going to the ICU. We were a bit sad, and I have to admit when we left Henry before surgery I actually was overwhelmed to the point of tears. I was sad for Henry and I just didn't want to go to the ICU. So I was definitely sad Henry was going to the ICU but I though, maybe it will only be a few days again. We started walking to the ICU and a nurse stopped us and asked us our last name. We told her, and she said "oh I'm glad I asked you your names. I have a message for you. They made a mistake Henry is still in recovery but he's going back to the floor." Oh my goodness I was elated!!! I hope that's the right word. I was excited but hesitant because they weren't for sure. We walked with her back to the recovery waiting area and waited very anxiously for a decision. Finally they said, he's till recovering but he's going to the SCCA unit so you can go wait for him in the room. I again almost lost it!

Oh and before going to meet with the Doctors post surgery, I said to Joel. We haven't even stopped to kneel down and pray to ask the Lord to allow Henry to come off the ventilator. So we prayed and went. Immediately upon returning to the room I said we need to kneel down again and thank the Lord. So we did. It has been one of the most emotional days thus far. We are still waiting for Henry to get back to the room. But my heart is overwhelmed with the mercy of the Lord. He has the power to change things in a second and if we are willing to trust in him and be willing to do his will, how great the reward! Thank you for all your prayers. I will definitely post some more when he's back in the room. He is blessed with strength the Doctors are not able to comprehend. They do not realize how many people are praying for Henry! I cannot do anything else today with out thanking the Lord for his goodness! I was talking to a friend who completely summed up my feelings, "We may not get the big miracle, but I have seen millions of small ones every day." There is no other explanation for Henry's strength, but that the Lord is helping him through.

4 comments:

  1. That is great news! I have been thinking about you guys all day long. We've prayed for you at every meal. I'm so happy everything went well. I admire your strength. I'll bring dinner tomorrow around 5:30. Let me know if anything changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh....I had a post all written out and then lost it...hate that! It was so great to read the hopeful news! Prayer surely has power, and if anyone is in doubt, they can just read your blog and it will be gone! What an amazing little man you have in Henry!! He is so strong, such a fighter! We will continue to pray for all of you and will also remember to thank Heavenly Father for the miracles he has already blessed Henry and all of us with! We love you guys tons. Wish we could be there with you.
    Tons of Love & Prayers,
    Michelle & Family :)
    GO, HENRY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been praying for you guys all day! Henry you are so very strong! wE LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!! Keep us updated and can't wait to get you home to hug and kiss on you Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I'm so glad that prayers are answered! It is truly a miracle! We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete