Monday, August 17, 2009

Small & Simple Things

Not a recent pic, but I just thought it was cute.

Alright I can't help being a positive person. This morning Joel sent me a text while I was running..."Henry has to have surgery today, line needs to be replaced, better come over soon." UGH. I called him and we talked about what was going on; one of Henry's two lines wasn't working. They use a medicine called TPA that breaks up the blood clot so they can access the line again. So after talking to Joel I started praying in my mind as I ran, praying that we would be blessed with a miracle today, if not I just prayed that things would some how work out for him. So I kept a prayer in my heart and by the time I got to the Hospital the IV nurse was there ready to try again on his line. And we were blessed with a miracle. The medicine went in and the line was able to be accessed. Henry also got an ultrasound on his liver and spleen and kidneys this morning to see if he had any signs of VOD. VOD is a sign that the liver is clotting and not functioning, they wanted another look because his bilirubin was higher today again. Another blessing came our way, no signs of VOD. His lungs are positive for CMV and because they didn't get an actual tissue sample, they can't know whether it's actually pneumonia or just a trace from his blood. The problem with CMV is that it can quickly become systemic and get into his bone marrow and cause problems with the graft, but if they treat it, the medication can be problematic for the graft as well. The eye doctor came in today to test his eyes, CMV can also damage the eyes.. fun little virus I know. However another blessing.. no signs of it in his eyes.

In the Book of Mormon the prophet Alma teaches us that by small and simple things great things are brought to pass. The Lord works small miracles in our lives and great things are brought about. So even though we are dealing with a lot, we are being blessed with incredible miracles each day. We can only deal with one thing at a time and continue to trust in the Lord. What an instant increase in faith and hope!

Henry is breathing easier on his own, the oxygen was drying out his nose and causing nose bleeds, so he was switched to the blow-by again, thank goodness. He smiled today and laughed a little too, he likes to honk mommy's nose. He sleeps a lot but he definitely needs the sleep. Right now his eyes are still very dilated and will be until tomorrow morning probably. He isn't so excited about that, so we keep the room really dark for him... Joel loves it! Some times I can't believe how opposite we are! The Third Ward is taking very good care of us here, they assigned a couple of sisters to come and visit and help us with whatever we need. They are going to start bringing dinners a couple times a week which is great! We are so grateful for all they have done to help support us while we are away from home.

Elizabeth is doing well at Granny Annie's but misses mommy and daddy. We are trying to Skype a bit, yesterday she was really sad when I talked to her because she wanted to come home but she didn't know her way, that made me cry. I hate having her away for so long, but since she's sick it's better for her to be at their house. Soon enough she'll be back.

Much love to you all thanks again for all your prayers and love!

1 comment: