Friday, September 4, 2009

Enduring Trials

I have been thinking about how often I hear people say, they don't know how I get through this or they feel like they couldn't do this. Every day I see people "doing" this, living every day in the hospital, watching their children go through painful things, or seeing the progress they are making. Every day brings something new, but one thing stays constant, everyone goes through challenges in this life. We are in complete control of our reaction, and how we deal with the trials before us, but we also have to remember that we are always able to receive help, not just from friends and family, but from our Lord and Savior. He who controls the seas, the elements, the creation of the earth and everything on it. An omnipotent Savior, who not only lived upon this earth, but endured many challenges of his own. We are taught that through the atonement the Savior not only endured the pain of sin, but the pain from every physical, emotional and spiritual challenge all of us would face. He's literally gone through everything and thus knows how to succor us.
I can stay cheerful through this whole experience because of the knowledge I have received through the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know I have used these scriptures before but really it's what I know and believe, Mosiah 24:14-16 "I will ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs..; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions."
"..the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."
"...Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage."
I think a common problem we have as humans is seeking out help when we can't do things on our own, which I believe some times carries over into our relationship with the Savior. Maybe we feel like we are strong enough on our own, or maybe we think our problems are too small to bother with. Either way we have to remember during our trials that the Lord is there for us, and we are able to call on him for help with anything, no matter how small or big. Not one sparrow falls that the Lord does not know about. Not one tear falls with out him knowing as well.
We can endure our challenges with ease and cheerfully, if we seek the Lords help. I am daily comforted and uplifted by friends and family, doing what the Lord asks them to do... uplift the weary or down trodden...when we follow the Lords command to help those around us, we become the instruments to strengthen those seeking help from the Lord.
Some times the Lord may literally mean 'on the morrow' but perhaps not, perhaps when we look back on the trial we endured we will feel like it was only yesterday it happened, so it feels like the Lord did deliver us on the morrow. :)
We each are given trials only we could endure, there are so many others out there enduring something they may feel isn't a big deal, but to someone else it's a big trial.
The Lord has been so loving and merciful. Everyday we receive a miracle, and every day Henry makes some progress. When we have a small set back I automatically start to seek the Lords forgiveness for my weaknesses or my sins; like my failures make him worse. I know it's silly, but I can't help it. I know that whatever happens is the Lords will, and that although it seems like a set back, there is a reason it happens something I don't necessarily understand until after I look back, but everything gets us closer to our goal of health.
There is a reason we endure the trials we do, and we can grow from them and learn and gain strength, but at the same time, we are able through our trials to help those around us, to be the instrument in the Lords hand, for someone else. The Lord has helped me endure this trial with cheerfulness because of the strength he has given me, the support, the peace and the knowledge of our purpose here in this life. I am so grateful for the gospel, I am grateful everyday I have with Henry and the time I have to watch him grow and develop and to witness the miracles everyday. The Lord is so kind and loving and always present in our lives if we will stop pay attention.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I don't think there is question that anyone, put in your kind of situation, "COULD" get through it. For as you have said many times, if they seak help from the Lord, they will have help. I think though, that many people in your place, FORGET to seak in the right places. Or they become angry and refuse, or they just don't know the Savior. I have heard stories of little ones in the hospital (Henry's age), and on thier chart it says "ALWAYS ALONE". I don't judge, because I don't know why the parents are not there. Some people just can't handle hospitals, don't have the support, don't have the Lord in thier life...So, we commend you for keeping your faith, turning TOWARDS the Lord instead of AWAY (like MANY people do)and for being such a source of strength for Herny AND all those who know/meet you in the process. We know you have help from many sources, but don't discredit what you do and who you are. You are an AMAZING daughter of God and a wonderful example to the rest of us. We love you tons!
    Love to your whole family,
    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete