Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Third times a Charm

Easiest way for me to explain it... there are two major veins that run from your neck area to your heart. Last time he had his Hickman placed on the right side, so they decided to try the left. Well when they started to put the catheter in, instead of going down towards the heart, it shot up into the right vein and up towards the other side of the neck. So they would have to pull it out and try again. On the third try they finally got it in, but had to push it in deeper so it wouldn't pop out and into that right vein again. Those of you that took anatomy perhaps know what I'm talking about...sorry to those of you that don't, I just got a crash coarse so here's yours.:) Well when it's too deep into the heart it wouldn't draw blood out very well, so they had to make a second incision in his chest and pull the catheter through it. So It's basically a big upside down V running from his heart to his neck and back down by his nipple where it comes out. The up side to the placement is that it's long enough to go through the bottom of his shirt, so I don't have to wait until they unhook him to get his clothes on and off, he can now wear whatever he wants basically. Yeah!
They removed the PIC but in order to do that, they put an IV into his foot, well he has two poke marks on his hand were I believe they failed to get IV's going, so he did really well but it was a bit of an ordeal.
When he got back to the room he got excited to see Mommy and wanted me to hold him! I was so excited. I have to tell you after two hours I start having anxiety attack issues and so by four hours I was pacing madly and shaking and every muscle in my body was tight and I was a wreck basically. Seeing him come down the hall, helped me relax a little and then I had to hold him for a while until I calmed down. haha
He pulled up his shirt sleeve to show me and Katie, the nurse that his PIC line was gone, and he was so excited he kept bouncing his arms up and down. He looks great! Thanks so much for all your prayers. I'm not so mad that it took forever. And with the mix up in platelets, he bumped way up to 115 or something like that which is incredible. I think his body was so excited it wasn't sure how to handle it!
Daddy just landed and Henry is really excited to see Daddy, I'm sure when he hears his voice he'll wake up. He's sleeping really well after having a few extra doses of morphine, so should be a calm night. We'll get lots of pics tomorrow of Daddy and Henry. They are gonna have so much fun playing together! Can't wait to have Elizabeth back too! I am overflowing with joy! Truly the Lord compensates our heart aches with an even greater amount of joy and happiness!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Lisa
    I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you guys... right now... while my boys all sleep, in the quiet of our home, I am asking God to be near to you in ways you cannot fathom. Praying for you a lot today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful it will be to have Joel with you again....and tomorrow, Elizabeth too. Is Henry able to have young visitors now, or will she have to stay at the apartment with someone? How happy she and Henry will be to see each other again. If she is able to see him....OR if Henry is able to go outside soon...I think it is time for another family picture. That would be a joy to see! Glad Henry is doing well and you were able to calm down....ugh...I was crazy when Ethan had his surgery (think it was 2 or 2 1/2 hours) and even when Lauren went for her CT and MRI (she was away from us for about 15 and 20-30 min. respectively). Four hours would be rough! Honestly though, I don't think you truely relax until you get to take them home with you. Happy that you will have your little family together again for awhile....can't wait until we can get the "big" family together again too! How long will Joel and Elizabeth get to stay with you this time? Hug them both for us!
    We love you all,
    Michelle & Eric, Devin, Ethan, & Lauren
    :) :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete