Thursday, September 24, 2009

Public Pranks

Something few people know about me is that I like doing small public pranks. If you ask I'll tell you a few of them but basically I try not to let the person I am fooling find out, so there is no embarrassment or shame. When I got back into Seattle at the Airport I saw something that really disturbed me. At the arrivals pick-up area literally hundreds of people were standing around waiting for their rides to pick them up. Along the wall of the building there was a "Smoking Prohibited" sign every 10 feet or so. Along the 100 feet of sidewalk I was standing at I counted 15 people smoking directly under the signs. There were 2 Seattle Airport Police standing about 10 feet from me and only about 10 feet from the gentleman in the picture below. I walked about 30 feet away making sure the 2 Officers were still with in eye sight since I was doing something foolish and did not know how the man would react. I walked up to a very large man (taller and bigger than me) and pointed at the sign asking him if he saw the sign or not (of course in a polite soft spoken voice). He looked above his head and apologized and put the cigarette out saying he had not seen the sign. Several other people heard the exchange and as I cast my eyes about the ones I made direct eye contact with also put out the cigarettes. OK so call me a jerk or fool but I decided to take a different approach and walked back to the 2 Seattle police Officers and asked one of them what the fine was for smoking in a no smoking zone. He said it was $200 but then said they had been ordered not to enforce the law from their superiors. I laughed a little and asked if it was a valid law and they both said it was but for political reasons (tourism) they don't enforce it at the airport because of all the travelers. I asked if travelers were expected to follow the laws in Seattle and we both laughed a little and I let it be. I then walked the 10 feet away to the man smoking in the picture below. I pulled out my camera from my bag and asked him if I could take a picture of him. He asked why and I said I was writing an article on social issues and laws. He asked who I wrote for and I quickly replied I was doing freelance stuff and currently not under contract or on a set payroll. He looked kind of excited and started digging in his pocket. He pulled out a business card and said he was an Editor from California and handed me his card, I conveniently was all out of cards. He said that if one of my usuals don't run the story he would be interested in it and said he could find a market for it. He started talking about Editing and sourcing stories and opinion columns. He asked what my article's fundamental idea was? I thought really fast, and said I thought most people are basically good people but also have a natural disdain for authority, some call it Pride, others, the Natural Man. I said most people speed even though we know the speed limit, on the airplane most people don't bring their seat back up or turn off their electronics until the flight attendant specifically ask them (even though we all hear it over the speaker), and there were 15 people smoking directly under the sign even when there were 2 police nearby. We parted ways and he again said, if I needed an Editor to help my Articles get to print he could help. I was exhausted afterwards, do you know how hard it is to keep from losing it and break up laughing? And what are the chances of confronting an Editor when I was pretending to be a Journalist?
I guess we all have our issues, anyone reading this is probably thinking I'm weird and just as bad as the people smoking under the signs; I know: thou shalt not lie. But then again I find a way to justify it.



4 comments:

  1. I don't know how you think so fast, I would get caught every time. You should write a piece and send it to him just to see what happens. Maybe you could get some money out of it for play toys. ~R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they cant enforce it because some people coming through the airport cant read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!!! Thanks for the laugh!! Wonderful....love the nerve...the quick thinking....and the writing idea. You would probably write a better story than most of what this guy reads.
    I love how they think more about the tourists who smoke than the ones who can't breathe when others smoke! Seriously, I really don't think that people would stop coming to Seattle just because they can't smoke at the airport!
    haha,
    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's just TOO funny! And good for you!!! You were far more polite than I was when I was at a food court in the Toronto Eaton Centre and a guy was smoking *right* beside a no-smoking sign... but then again, I *was* just in the early weeks of being pregnant with Bonnie and... well... hormones... you know. (Let's just say I think even Brian was scared of me that day!) ;-) (I also think your Dad is coming out a bit in you, too! He's always been a very quick thinker!) I agree with Laci & Michelle - I really think you should take a stab at the writing! Who knows?

    lots of love, (and also enjoyed the car video!)
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete